Finalists compete for Ms. Alabama Nursing Home crown | Community Spirit
Seventy-five nursing home residents are expected to soon gather for the 29th annual Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant, and several are in the WSFA 12 News viewing area!
The ladies will appear at the The Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover on Monday, July 25, at 2:00 p.m. for the annual pageant. The winner will serve as a spokesperson for nursing home residents and the Alabama Nursing Home Association.
"These ladies truly capture the spirit of the Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant which is a celebration of life and of our nursing home residents’ contributions to the lives of others,” Alabama Nursing Home Association Executive Director Louis Cottrell said. “These 75 ladies represent different backgrounds, ages and life experiences. They are to be commended because they are wonderful ambassadors for their individual nursing home and Alabama’s long-term care profession.”
Miss Alabama Courtney Porter will co-host the event, and Ms. Senior Alabama Frankie Cashion, Distinguished Young Woman of Alabama Danielle DuBose and Miss University of Alabama Valerie Stewart will serve on the panel of celebrity judges. Other celebrity judges include Alabama Medicaid Agency Commissioner Dr. Bob Mullins and Quintin Hawkins, a Montgomery based consultant and civic leader.
Preliminary judging was held in Montgomery in June, where the field of 75 contestants was narrowed to the top 10 finalists. Contestants are evaluated on their outlook on life, personality, poise and involvement in their individual nursing homes.
The following are the top 10 finalists for the Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant: (LOCAL IN BOLD)
- Ms. Andalusia Manor, Felma Schrimshire, Andalusia
- Ms. Arbor Springs Health & Rehab, Katherine Sanders, Opelika
- Ms. Cottage of the Shoals Care & Rehab Center, Gladys Slaton, Tuscumbia
- Ms. Cullman Health Care, Patricia Ann Umphrey, Cullman
- Ms. Golden LivingCenter Trussville, Thelma Rebecca Matchen, Trussville
- Ms. Hartford Health Care, Mernette White, Hartford
- Ms. Mitchell-Hollingsworth Nursing & Rehab, Linda Patterson, Florence
- Ms. Shelby Ridge Rehab Select, Bessie Smitherman, Alabaster
- Ms. Westside Terrace Health & Rehab First, Marguerite Alley, Dothan
- Ms. Willow Trace Nursing Center, Mary Lois Shannon, Butler
The top 10 finalists will have individual interviews with the panel of celebrity judges on the morning of July 25 before competing on stage that afternoon. All of the other contestants in attendance will make up the Honor Court and will be individually recognized during the pageant.